Wednesday, September 17, 2008

6th - 7th September 2008, Mngwangwa

The return to ministry is like breathing after a long time holding my breath. Everything falls into place. The world can be all that it is but somehow it isn’t as hard as it was. We returned to Mngwangwa. It is our second week. Every month we spend 4 days in Mngwangwa. We had distributed about 100 bibles to the people there but with the firm warning that everyone should read and memorise scripture. It is hard to give a weapon to a soldier that places it under a tree and goes to sleep… it is hard to do this when weapons are few and the war is raging! So, we did the classroom thing… if you got as bible from us, you had to for a start, memorise Psalm 1/1-3. If you failed, we took the bible back until you did. To encourage everyone, I promised to memorise it in Chichewa, which was tough (I didn’t know some words) but by the grace of God I managed.

We had a wonderful time that Sunday. After a week of practice, both men and women spoke aloud and proudly recited their scriptures. For some (dare I say most), this was the first time to memorise scripture and I was privileged to be a part of it. Yowasi Luseni memorised the entire psalm. It was a joyous time and there was an excitement in the room. Even as we had blessed about 100 people with bibles, there were still other newer people who did not have. Nonetheless, it is the first time we have walked into a meeting and more people have bibles than not. What a thing God has done. Wrap your mind around this and marvel with me! People have bibles... they can go home and read them! They can mark them. Having never had to borrow a bible, I cannot really understand but I can look into their eyes and see the joy that overflows as they receive them. This I can attest to and because of it, praise the God of impossibilities. I promise you this, when we began working in the villages, I never envisioned a day when each person walking into the room has a bible. But now, I see that this day is soon coming! There is a day when the windows of heaven will be opened up and God will pour out a blessing we cannot contain. As I hear more and more people give of themselves towards bibles, I have come to understand that there is a blessing that shuts you up. It is the blessing that drains you of all excitement… you are left dumb and immobile; you cannot even express your joy. This is happening. God is doing the incredible! It is watching a wonder happen, too marvellous for you, your body, your emotions and your mind to comprehend or respond to.

Even as we continue to distribute bibles, we set our hearts further towards God and His desires for the people He loves. We are now preparing to launch “Light @ Night”, our new bible initiative. We want to purchase a bible and a lantern as a combo for those who want to read their bibles at night but fail because of no access to light at night. The natural light and the spiritual light. Light at night. Even as I write this I am reminded of a time when accessing the bible we have now seemed a dream…and yet. Be a part of it; help to bring light at night. If you cannot, pray for us, that God will show forth His mighty hand and outstretched arm. He is the God of impossibilities. He can do exceedingly, abundantly, above anything we can ask or imagine. He is and always will be the Father of lights.

Generally, writing this blog is about processing and recording what I see, feel and hear as God works within the people and places He invites me into. This time, though, I wanted to speak directly to you, the reader… yeah, I went there! I wanted to thank every person who has campaigned, given and prayed for bibles. Because of you, things are happening, lives are changing. The seed of the Word is being planted and we shall see (together) the harvest should the Lord tarry. So, thank you! Smile; there is a wonderful reason to.

2 comments:

Pals4T said...

Hurray Keta!!!! This is just wonderful!! You GO girl. God is at work big time!
love you,
Debbie

Rita said...

Thank you for giving us so much more to praise God about. My tears of joy join your and others I'm sure!
Rita